Sunday, September 1, 2013

Pain in ManASS (Manas)



I took a five hour flight to Manas, Kyrgyzstan and landed about 0330 on Saturday, August 24. No one really knows how to pronounce it... Manas, MANis, ManASS.  I can barely spell the name of the country, let alone find it on a map. But this is a transit center for Military members heading or leaving down range. After arriving here, all the Air Force people received a list of appointments we had to attend that day and were told that at 2200 (10pm) that night we would find out when we would leave. I spent the day enjoying some Green Bean Coffee, the military’s version of Starbucks, and taking cat naps between appointments. I was also thankful that there was internet all over the base, a luxury I took for granted now that I have arrived in Afghanistan.  Manas is my first experience being around so many military people, outside of USAFA, and it was my first encounter with the Army. THEY ARE EVERYWHERE! Little did I know it was only the beginning….

That evening we had a briefing that gave us our points of contacts at our respective locations. Unfortunately for me, the POC listed was not someone I had ever heard of nor was it the location I was supposed to go to. Well, here’s the back story on this one, all my paperwork said Kandahar, a base in the southern region of Afghanistan, BUT my job required me to go through Bagram and on to FOB Shank a forward operating base in the Northern region.  I wanted to clear this up prior to the 10pm Mobility meeting so I met with the 466th Air Expeditionary Squadron Commander to let him know that I was NOT supposed to be going to Kandahar, but to Bagram and then onward. After some time, he said that I wasn’t on the schedule to leave that night and we would worry about it in the morning. I attended the 2200 mobility meeting feeling confident that I wasn’t on the flight out that night and I was even tempted not to go to the meeting since I had some insider information. Not more than 30 seconds into the meeting, they called my name saying I was on the flight to Kandahar and I had to get my bags palletized in 15 minutes! I was pissed!! I had just been told that I wasn’t leaving that night and now I had 15 minutes to convince them that I should not be on the flight… Well, after explaining myself to 3 different people and a few phone calls later, I was finally removed from the flight to Kandahar. Unfortunately, it was too late to make the flight to Bagram leaving the next day. I would have to wait another 24 hours to find out if I was on the flight leaving on Monday the 26th. Finally I was confirmed on a flight to Bagram, but it was still going to fly to Kandahar first and then continue on to Bagram. I sent an email to Point of Contact letting them know when I would get in and his reply he informed me that I would not be going to FOB Shank, but I would be staying at Bagram.  Here’s one thing I’ve learned so far in my deployment…STAY FLEXIBLE. Nothing is permanent. NOTHING! I was cool with staying at Bagram for security reasons-- FOB Shank experiences a lot of “action.” I know my parents are happy I am staying. SO, how am I supposed to get the boxes I shipped to Shank??

1 comment: