Sunday, September 1, 2013

Frequent Flier Miles


 I travel A LOT, so leaving  Boston Logan International on Wednesday August 22nd, preparing  to head out to Norfolk International Airport felt and seemed like any other trip. Besides the fact I was carrying around a giant weapons case with a M16 (damn you, Hanscom!) and a M9 inside, it all seemed pretty normal and not like I was embarking on my first deployment to FOB Shank in Afghanistan.  My friend Bri, a former teammate at the Air Force Academy and awesome friend, dropped me off at the airport and gave me some parting words. Truth be told,  we were mostly laughing about how I could rig my luggage to have less to carry. Two words: BUNGEE CORDS!  Then I walked into the terminal feeling ready. I was thankful that I had already visited and said my goodbyes to my boyfriend, Jared, and family in Bartlesville days before. There were no tears. No sad goodbyes, just me waiting in the airport for a fight. I stayed the night at Norfolk Naval Station Lodging where I enjoyed my last night in a full size bed, 30+channels of cable, and one final long hot shower without shower shoes. I checked out about noon on Thursday August 23 and the other people from my base chose to go to the airport although we did not have to be at the airport until 8 pm. I didn’t want to be at an airport terminal all knowing I was going to deploy so I took the Jared’s advice  and went on the hunt for the my final American meal. Turned out there was a Five Guys on base, where I ordered a double cheese burger with Bacon and an order of fries. It was as wonderful as a food court base meal could be, if only there had been shakes.  At around 1130 that night I boarded the commercial rotator filled with about 100 military members from all over the world who were are all headed down range. After a cute Marine soldier put my bags in the over head bin,  I had a row to myself and slept the entire 7 hour flight to Leipzig, Germany.  At Leizpig, obviously I had to buy some Hairbo Gummy candy, while the rest of the plane enjoyed some German Beer. I attempted to access the Internet in their USO, and I am now receiving emails asking me daily about my Penis size. That’s what being impatient will get you… Hacked!! I wasn’t even able to check my email either...

No comments:

Post a Comment