Sunday, September 8, 2013

Home Sweet Home


Well, I've been at Bagram for nearly two weeks now. It has been quite the adjustment in life style and in the time change (I am 8.5 hours ahead of the East Coast). I spent my first days trying to keep my eyes open during the day and avoiding midday naps. I've already become a coffee drinker and I am now trying to ween myself off. It seems everyone knows I am new here...apparently smiling is a dead give away. One thing I have noticed is that people don't like to smile. But I've learned in my short two weeks, that more people need smiles in their lives. So I make it a point to greet everyone with a smile. I know it will probably fade away as my time goes on, but I'm gonna try. I am happy to report that my stuff came from FOB Shank! Yay! Now I have pictures in my office. 

My job will be interesting. I work for the Defense Contract Management Agency (DCMA). I don't want to bore you with the details, but it is my job to ensure that the contractor is properly ceasing all of its services throughout the northern region of Afghanistan. I will be traveling to different FOBs (Forward Operating Bases) at several points in the cessation process to make sure they are doing what they are supposed to be doing. I also will work as a Government Technical Product Representative (GTPR). I will go around the base here at Bagram and audit the different services provided by the contractor (i.e, water, facilities, chow hall). 
The people I work with have been great. I am in a predominately male office and it has been interesting, to say the least...I've participated in my first  (and probably LAST) Cigar Night. The after taste is disgusting. (I had to wake up in the middle of the night to brush my teeth again! YUCK!) And I have been invited to return to the weekly poker night...God Bless Beginners Luck! I think they invite me back because I don't have a poker face and they like to take my chips (Don't worry, No money is involved!) 

My living arrangements are pretty nice. I live in a Containerized Housing Unit (CHU). It's the length of half a shipping container and I have it all to myself. Yesterday, we had to spend some time in a bunker  due to Indirect Fire (IDF) on Base. As we were sitting there, complaining about things like how we could hear someone slam the door or how my coworker's TV doesn't work (I opted to not get a TV) an Army Private mentioned how he shares a giant room with 8 other men. That there are dividers, but no privacy what-so-ever. I am counting my blessings and glad I joined the AIR FORCE!! 


This is a look at my CHU. It is about as decorated as my apartment, so i think it looks great!
Those are my Air Force Academy Sheets! 





This is my neighborhood! There are about 10 CHUs lined up in a row. They just built showers at the end of the row strictly for my organization, DCMA. No more sharing with dozens of army women. And no more losing my flip flop on the rocks when leaving the shower! YAY! 


'

CIPHER LOCKS!! You can't get into very many buildings or use any of the bathrooms/showers without having a DAMN code. You will know it is me at the door, because I am the person that has to do a code 3 or 4 times before I get it right! These will be the death of me here!



Water bottles are EVERYWHERE! I bet when I get back to the States, I will get charged with shoplifting bottled water. Around here, we just grab a case and go.  The water in the bathrooms and showers is Potable, but not meant for consumption. A lil side note: A did a water audit here on Bagram and found out that the water from the wells are actually very clean. (Surprising!) But the military has to take extra measures, so we run it through filters and but chemicals in before we can shower with them. 







 BUNKER ACTION! Far Back is Major Medeiros, my boss, and from my home base, Hanscom. Then there's TSgt Clonick he is an Administrative Contracting Officer here. Both of them are awesome and have helped me get settled in. 



The other side of the bunker. Yes, the base does get hit by rocker attacks. They are often on the other side of the base and there are sirens to alert us. Also, around holidays like September 11th, we have to wear our vests and helmets in the evening. Its a little extra precaution incase the insurgents plan on getting a lil froggy. 

Its surreal being here, especially during the anniversary of the start of our longest war. I ask that you keep all the troops who serve and have served (especially those who have paid the ultimate sacrifice) in your thoughts and prayers and that we take the time to remember the lives lost on that tragic day. 

I hope you enjoyed this week's Trish Tale! xoxox 

1 comment:

  1. Great post! Especially happy about the pics because it helps give me a visual sense of your environment. I'll be flying on 9/11, no doubt remembering that day. Thank you for your Service and bravery!

    ReplyDelete